What should be expected following an adenoidectomy?
- As throat discomfort is usually minimal after this surgery, Tylenol or other acetominophen products usually provide sufficient pain relief. You may be instructed by your physician to use Motrin or Advil (ibuprofen) every 6 hours for 48 to 72 hours after surgery.
- About five to seven days following surgery, neck pain and earaches are common; these usually respond to Motrin or Advil (ibuprofen products).
- The child should rest at home for the first two days. Vigorous physical activity should be avoided for the first three to four days. Some slight bleeding can result if the child becomes overactive too soon. After three to four days, the child’s activity level can gradually be increased to normal.
- Bad breath is very common following surgery, but it usually resolves after
about three weeks. Saline nasal spray, chewing gum, and/or eating hard candy can all help to improve bad breath.
- Your child should be able to tolerate a clear liquid diet immediately after surgery, and should progress to a normal diet as your child feels like eating. Occasionally a low grade fever (between 99-101 F) can develop after surgery, and may be worsened by a poor fluid intake.
- A post operative visit is not required for this surgery but if you have any concerns or, if indicated by your physician, a post-op visit will be arranged.
What are some reasons you should contact your doctor after surgery?
- A low-grade fever (99 to 101F) is common after surgery. However, if your child develops a fever greater than 102 F or a fever that does not respond to Tylenol (acetominophen) or Motrin or Advil (ibuprofen), this needs further attention.
- Sometimes slight bleeding from the nose can occur if your child becomes overactive too soon. However, if this bleeding is severe (large amount, hard to stop), your doctor should be notified.
- About five to seven days following surgery an earache or neck pain are common. However if the neck pain is very severe, or it does not get better in 48 to 72 hours after Motrin or Advil (ibuprofen) use, please notify your doctor.